Friday, April 15, 2016

"Unable to activate Windows Store app [GUID]. The [EXE Name] process started, but the activation request failed with error 'The app didn't start'." - Make sure your project is on C!

I spent the day fighting this issue...

Had a Xamarin.Forms app, based on the Cross Platform - Blank App (Shared & also Portable), that worked in the Android emulator, but all the Windows targets would fail. The apps would crash right after start...

A debugger is attached to App4.UWP.exe but not configured to debug this unhandled exception. To debug this exception, detach the current debugger.


Microsoft Visual Studio
Unable to activate Windows Store app 'f736c883-f105-4d30-a719-4bf328872f5e_nh7s0b45jarrj!App'. The App4.UWP.exe process started, but the activation request failed with error 'The app didn't start'.


See help for advice on troubleshooting the issue.
OK   Help  

I did a bunch of repairs, re-installs, etc., thinking it was a Xamarin.Forms issue.

Then I did what all dev's should do when troubleshooting, started eliminating variables. "What happens with a standard, non-Xamarin UWP app?"

Same error! Well now we know it isn't Xamarin!

Finally I came across this thread;

[UWP] Unable to activate Windows Store app, the app didn't start - Windows 10 Universal Apps

What can be the problem here? This only happens on universal apps. Classic Desktop projects opens without problems.

Things I already did, some of which are based on solutions I came across while trying to solve this:

  • Install Visual Studio 2015 Update 1
  • Check for App.config (supposedly, I should delete this; there no such file so I can't really delete it)
  • Build > Clean Solution, Build > Rebuild Solution
  • Uninstall the output app on the start menu
  • Delete `bin` and `obj` folders
  • Change the `Package name` in the Package.appxmanifest file
  • Change the output from `x86` to `x64` and vice versa
  • Change the `Debugger type` in Properties to `Native Only`
  • Tried running as `Release` failed, then reverted it back to `Debug`, still failed
  • Tried renewing my developer license. It doesn't work for Windows 10 Universal Apps and is only for Windows 8 Apps.
  • Tried uninstalling Visual Studio 2015 completely and re-installing. Still nothing.
  • NEW: Tried doing a full fresh reformat of Windows 10 still didn't work.

So yeah, I've pretty much exhausted every solution I can find on the internet to try and fix this. If anyone can offer more solutions, I'd be glad to test it out. ...

All of that is what I did too (Except for the VS/Win uninstall/Re-install)

Scrolling down... no the "answer" can't be it! It can't be THAT simple!

"...I even went as far as to do a fresh install of Windows 10 but when the problem still persists, I was about to give up. But I found out another solution that I haven't tried: move the project folder to the C: drive.

Apparently, when I have the project folder on my D: drive, it wouldn't work and will show me the said error...

OMG, all my projects were on my D drive too! It CAN'T be that, can it?

Move the original Xamarin project from D to C and guess what?

Worked like a charm!


There are days when I hate technology...

No comments: