Thursday, March 03, 2005

Setting up a Development Tree...

Start your .NET project off on the right foot....

" In my career I've setup quite a few development trees for .NET projects. What do I mean by a 'development tree'?

  • It is a directory structure
  • containing:
    • source files
    • tools and dependencies
    • references to external tools and dependencies
  • checked into source control
  • that is atomically integratable
  • to produce a set of artifacts

A good development tree should:

  • be easily integratable on new environments
  • require little maintainance
  • but be easily maintainable when it does require maintenance
  • support, but not hamper, developer productivity
  • have consistent behaviour

These are rather qualitative ideals, but give some direction about where we want to head.

In this article I show how to develop a good 'boilerplate' development tree structure for .NET projects that other people can use.

..."



I seem to reinvent my Dev project tree structure with each project. Mostly to try out new ideas and to avoid issues with previous layouts. This gets a little old. Also it doesn't take into account new areas I have yet to play with (like automated builds).

This article not only covers directory layout, but also source control, automated builds (NAnt) and unit testing (NUnit)... This is an article I want to review in detail.

(via Alex Lowe - Start your .NET project off on the right foot....)

No comments: