Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Add a SharePoint Document Library (or other folder location) to the "My Places bar" in Office

JOPX on SharePoint, MSCMS, Office 2003 and SOA: Add a SharePoint document library to the "My Places bar"

This is a great tip for Office XP/2003 users.

You know the "My Places" on the left side of the Office Save/Save As/Open dialogs? Did you know you can add your own items to that list with two clicks?

Open Word.
Click on File/Open
Navigate to a folder you would like to have in your "My Places" list.
In the Open dialog, at the top right there's a "Tools" menu, click on that.
Now select the "Add to 'My Places'" option.

(okay, that's really a couple more than two clicks, but still, it's pretty darn easy once you know about it)

That's it. The current folder you're in will be added to your "My Places" bar. This works for both local/network file folders and Sharepoint Document libraries (and probably any other place you can open a Word document via this dialog from).

If you right click in the "My Places" bar, you can adjust it to show small icons, the default large ones as well as move, edit, delete your custom Places.

And since Office shares this info, your new My Place will be available in the other Office applications.


Very cool... I've been adding my common file shares/libraries to My Places since I read about it... :)

No comments: