Friday, October 14, 2005

Reference Manager for Visual Studio 2005

Reference Manager for Visual Studio 2005 RC

"If you are working with references (assembly or project references) in VS probably sometimes you have to do some annoying tasks:

Case 1) Where am I using this reference (i.e.: System.Data) in this solution?

Solution: I have to traverse all the projects in the solution and depending on the kind of project expand the references item or even worst open the properties dialog to see the references!!

Case 2) Remove a reference from multiple projects.

Solution: I have to go project by project removing the reference!!

Case 3) Add a reference to multiple projects

Solution: Project by project call to Add Reference dialog!!

Case 4) we have installed a new version of some assembly so we need to replace all references

Solution: You have to apply 1, 2 and 3!!!

So that I decided to make my life easier and I developed a tool called "Reference Manager"

You will have this tool available on the solution context menu. I tried to solve the above use cases. So now the solution for each case is easier. ..."


I had some "reference fun" the other day where a tool like this might have come in handy.

No comments: