Tuesday, November 15, 2005

New Enterprise Windows Desktop Search

New version of Windows Desktop Search!

"Tonight we've officially launched the Enterprise editions of Windows Desktop Search and the MSN Search Toolbar. Unlike the current consumer release, there are 2 seperate installs (one for WDS, one for MSN Toolbar). ..."

Windows Desktop Search – enabled for the enterprise

Very cool. I recently moved to a new notebook with a fresh XP install and I really need a HD indexer...

But I don't want an "uber, do everything under the sun version and here's a cool new toolbar too!" version. Just one where I can drive what folders are indexed and doesn't hijack my browser or add another toolbar. Also I don't want or need Outlook indexing/integration. Lookout works great for me and I have no reason to replace it. I just want something to make searching for stuff on my HD easier....

This new Enterprise WDS just might fit the bill for me.

I really dig how they've separated the Search/Index engine from the toolbar. Also I like how this version also replaces the XP "Search Companion". I'm used to right-click Search on a folder, so the new WDS let's me continue to work as I have before while taking advantage of the new service.

Anyway, it's installed, indexing and I'm downloading more IFilters (ZIP, CHM, etc). We'll see how it goes.

No comments: