Friday, February 10, 2006

RSS Template Updates

Microsoft Team RSS Blog : Windows RSS Publisher's Guide (work-in-progress)

"… In order to tell IE (and other browsers, for that matter), that your page has an associated web feed, you need to add a link element inside the header of your web page. This helps users discover that there is a feed to subscribe to.
Here is an example of RSS autodiscovery:

<html>
  <head>
    <link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="your feed title here" href="http://www.company.com/feedurl.rss
">
  </head>
<body>

... "

It’s Blogger Template Update Time! Yeah!
(Well not really, but a full rework of my template is coming one day… I do not like my current template, but since everyone is reading my posts via my feed, the template is not that big of a deal? You are reading this via a feed reader… right? Don’t make me get my Scoble RSS Stick out…  ;)

I’ve updated my template to include feed IE7 auto-discovery and to make it a little clearer what to click on to subscribe from the main page (i.e. updated to use the new standard feed image).

I’ve also removed the other feed subscription links and am now only making my Feedburner feed visible. Why? Because Feedburner provides me a great deal of useful information about my feed consumers (and more importantly it lets me add “flair” to my feed items… I want to make sure I have my 15 pieces of flair…).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's not just IE7 autodiscovery, that's an "industry" standard. So other aggregators such as Rss Bandit etc... will be able to discover your feed.

Talk about good value for adding a single line of Html. ;)

Greg said...

That is cool...

Thanks.