Friday, July 07, 2006

Hundreds of Free Data/Database Models

Database Answers - Data Models

"... I design these Data Models for free to give something back to the Database community that has provided me with a good (and interesting) living for the past 15 years.

Each Model is usually what I can do in the 20 minutes each day of voluntary work that I allocate from my consulting work.

My intention is to provide a wide range of ’Kick Start’ Models that anyone can use as a starting-point, and could extend cleanly and logically, with appropriate reference to the Business Rules.

It is not my intention to provide Models that can be used off-the-shelf to meet the requirements of a large commercial organisation.
After all, that is one of the things I do for a living !!!

None of the Models is the complete and final solution in its area, but any of them can be added to easily and quickly to meet a specific requirement. The logic in each Model is correct and contains the minimum Entities for the area being modelled. It is easy to create a complex Model by combining these Kick-Start Models because they all follow the same design approach and standards.


..."

Hate the feeling that you are re-inventing a database model? Knowing that someone must have done this before? New at data modeling or database design and want to see a number of examples? Been doing it for years, but interested in seeing what another professional designer thinks?

Well then the above site is for you...

I think this is one of the more (most?) compressive list of data models I’ve seen online. From Evidence Tracking, to CD Catalog to Nursing Home to ERP and more... I mean, wow, "Ton’s O Model’s" is not an understatement.

Sure there’s no actual build scripts and the model files (ERWin files, SQL, etc) do not appear to be downloadable (like the guys says he IS in the data model design business so that’s understandable) but having a diagram of the model is almost as good, at least IMHO.

Just being able to see someone else’s thought processes/models is huge for me...

(via Fabrice’s weblog - Library of free data models)

No comments: