Wednesday, August 23, 2006

ASP.Net ActionPack - Ruby on Rails Simplicity for .Net?

Korby Parnell's CodePlex Wunderkammer - ActionPack for Your DAL: It's Slicker Than Hot Poi

"My good buddy Rob Connery, of Commerce Starter Kit fame, has started a groovy new project on CodePlex called ASP.NET ActionPack. ActionPack consists of a set of ORM tools, code generation and dynamic query tools.

Inspired by the magic of Ruby on Rails, ActionPack provides a BuildProvider that reads your database and creates all the objects (and strongly-typed collections) you need to get rolling. It even wraps your stored procedures and creates accessor methods for them (returning readers). They have also rolled in Rails Scaffolding, providing you with a full-blown editor, in seconds.

..."

ASP.NET ActionPack

"Ruby On Rails is propelling a new wave of programming - one that drives "Convention Over Configuration". This simple, elegant approach is attracting many developers who find the intricacies and complexity of Java and .NET to be daunting.
The ActionPack for .NET is our attempt to bring this simplicity to the .NET platform.

..."

That sounds kind of cool. To see it in action, check this out, http://www.wekeroad.com/actionpackintro.html

I've resisted playing with Ruby on Rails (my brain's transaction log is almost full ...) but I am interested in seeing the reported Rails coolness in the .Net world...

Plus I hate writing DAL's and the SP support sounds cool.

I've added this project to my watched project list and will be interested in see how it evolves...

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Greg said...

I'm sorry Ayisha, I killed your comments...

I didn't look too much like spam, but was very off topic (I'm not sure how a list of book sites really relates to this post...), so I errored on the side of caution and killed the comment.

Please email me if this was a mistake, you want to clarify the comment, etc.

Thanks