Monday, February 25, 2008

This is why I avoid traveling... aka the Taxi Ride from Hell

John Robbins' Blog - The Travel Day from Hell

"Sometimes traveling for business can be fun. As part of my job, I've been able to travel all over this wonderful planet. On my business trips I've gotten to see great sites like the Great Wall of China, Golconda Fort in Hyderabad, India, Old Jerusalem in Israel, Petra in Jordan, the Alps in Switzerland, and the Traveler's Club International Restaurant and Tuba Museum in Okemos, Michigan (and many, many more). In addition, I get to eat all that wonderful local food. As my waistline proves, I've definitely had more than my fair share. The best part, though, is getting to meet people and learn about their culture. The biggest thing I've learned is that people love to laugh no matter where they are from. I've tried my best to be a good ambassador from my country and make as many people laugh as possible.

Occasionally, business travel can be miserable. While I've had my share of screaming kids next to me on planes, flight delays, and bad hotels, on Sunday I had, short of a plane crash, the worst travel day I've ever had.

...

While my voice hurts from screaming for 40 minutes, I'm safe in a great hotel. My belly is full and I'm comfortable. In the big scheme of things, my horrible day isn't that bad, but it's the worst travel day I've had. What's your worst travel day? "

This must be toward the top of the Taxi Rides from Hell list (and/or the Travel Day from Hell list).

My international travel, besides to Canada, has been limited to South Korea in the late 80's (I was stationed there for 1 1/2 years when I was in the Army). Traveling in a country where you don't understand the language, has a very different culture from what you're used to, you're alone and tired from a long flight is an adventure all by itself. Then add in a little terror, fright and fear and well... oh, yeah, that's a top 10 crappy travel day alright.

No comments: