Monday, March 31, 2008

Subsytem for Unix (SUA) Utilities and SDK For Windows 2008 and Vista SP1

Microsoft Downloads - Utilities and SDK for Subsystem for UNIX-based Applications in Microsoft Windows Vista RTM/Windows Vista SP1 and Windows Server 2008 RTM

"....

Utilities and SDK for UNIX-Based Applications is an add-on to the Subsystem for UNIX-Based Applications (referred to as SUA, hence forth) component that shipped in Microsoft Windows Vista / Windows Server 2008 RTM.

This consists of the following components:
- Base Utilities
- SVR-5 Utilities
- Base SDK
- GNU SDK
- GNU Utilities
- UNIX Perl
- Visual Studio Debugger Add-in

..."

I find myself falling back to these mostly to handle long, greater than MAX_PATH, issues... I also find it funny that the file system supports a folder depth of 32k characters, but it seems like nothing else does (outside of the W/wide API's), i.e. no shell or command line support. So I fallback to Unix commands to help me manage the windows file system... lol

One of these days I'm going to have to try to get approval to release the .Net API wrappers I created to deal with long paths (in my biz, EDD, Electronic Data Discovery, long paths are just a part of doing business...). But that may also be much more headache than it's really worth... sigh.

In the mean time, there are the above utilities...

 

Related Past Post XRef:
Windows Services for UNIX 3.5 Downloads

No comments: