Monday, April 07, 2008

tz/Olson Database .Net API

CodeProject - ZoneInfo (tz database / Olson database) .NET API

"This article describes a simple .NET API for using the ZoneInfo database, which is also known as the tz database or Olson database.

The API is available at http://www.codeplex.com/zoneinfo.

I hope you find it useful :)

Background

I have been developing a web site which schedules meetings and events across multiple time zones for more than a year now.

I previously used the .NET PublicDomain library discussed in another codeproject article but had a number of issues including:

  • Just not working for Australia
  • It seems to hard code in the tz database rather than reading it from the file system; therefore if you need to update the database you need to wait for the source code to be updated
  • The library seems to have a lot of other things in it which I just don't need (which is not a major issue though)

One of the big things I wanted was to have an API which I can just download the latest tz database and off I go.

..."

The tz (time zone) database comes up every so often at work, so when I saw this I wanted to reference it... for... um... future reference... ;)

No comments: