Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Problems Installing XNA Game Studio 3.0 CTP? Running on Vista? Log file contains an "Error 1722"? Try "Unblocking" the downloaded EXE...

Summary

If you are running Vista and are having a problem installing the XNA Game Studio 3.0 CTP, have followed all the instructions in the Readme, try right clicking on the EXE you downloaded, select Properties and click on the Unblock button.

This seems to have fixed my issue. Once I did that the install went right through...

I found this suggestion in the comments of this post, PaulWh's Tech Blog - Installing XNA Game Studio on Windows Vista

image

 

Full Story

[Environment]
OS: Vista Ultimate x86 SP1 (Fully patched)
VS2005 Team Suite, VS2008 Team Suite (Both fully patched)
XNA 2.0, Robotics's 2008 CTP
Office 2007 (fully patched)
Zune 2.5
Tons of other crud... (but everything in a working state)

Being the geek that I am, I just couldn't wait to get XNA Game Studio 3.0 up and running... There's just something I find too cool about being able to .Net on my Zune.

So anyway during lunch I downloaded it, uninstalled the "Games for Windows - Live" (per the instructions in the readme), kicked off the setup and waited... Looks good, stuff is installing, okay... Wait, what's this "Rolling back install"? Doh. No install and no joy.

Reboot (in case there was a pending change and it had been awhile since a reboot... I love that about Vista. I reboot maybe once a month... maybe) and try again. Get to the "Setting up for VS2008" part and... Rollback. sigh

Time to hunt down the log files.

The setup logs seem to be verbose by default, which is nice (and makes sense for a CTP). I found the logs here, "C:\Users\[YourUserID]\AppData\Local\Temp\Microsoft XNA\XNA Game Studio\v3.0\Setup\Logs\"

There are a number of files, but the primary one seems to be "GameStudioSetup-[DateOfInstallAttempt].[TimeOfInstallAttempt].LOG" Opening that, I dig through it for errors and find the failure point, "Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. ... "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\DevENV.exe" /Setup"

Um... A problem with running the VS IDE with the Setup parameter? Um... Ok... So I launch a Admin Command Prompt and run that manually. No errors, no issues it seems...

Okay, web search time.

I didn't find much that was relevant, but in scanning this post, PaulWh's Tech Blog - Installing XNA Game Studio on Windows Vista, a commenter mentioned that in 2.0 he was having a similar problem and that Unblocking the EXE fixed it for him.

Okay, worth a right. Right click on the downloaded EXE, Properties, click Unblock.

Run the EXE, UAC "Allow", Next, next game...The installer is working and...

YES! It got past the VS2008 step and finished!

 

Let's see if it works...

image

image

image

image

image

 

F5... Deploying to the Zune (It's cool weird to see "Deploying MSCORLIB3_5.DLL" in my Zune... :)

And it's running! ROCK ON! And with full debugging support in the IDE, break points, etc.

Oh my, my weekend is toast! 

 

Related Past Post XRef:
XNA Game Studio 3.0 CTP Available (Get your Zune Gaming on! :)

No comments: