Friday, August 01, 2008

(Fixed) Problems viewing my blog with IE? Try FireFox… But you might want to check your site/blog if you are using Site Meter…

All of a sudden I’m getting "Internet Explorer cannot open the internet site… Operation aborted” error on my blog.

image

 

Four machines, different networks, same issue. All I did was a post the last post. No to the layout changes, nothing. It just seems to have stopped working in IE. Of course if you’re using IE you may not be able to read this… I deleted that post, same issue. Tried any of my older pages, same issue. Turning off, running in disabled add-on’s mode, same issue.

So far it seems FireFox works fine.

Am playing the google game now (found one a few sites, but How to Fix “Internet Explorer Cannot Open the Internet Site- Operation Aborted” Error has the same issue… lol.)

I wonder if it’s an Blogger/AdSense/gadget thing? The page seems to load, then dies as it loads the sidebar.

I’m going to kill some sidebar gadgets and see if that helps…

sigh

Update #1:

Not AdSense, but another sidebar gadget. Isolating now…

Update #2:

Appears to be Site Meter related. I have that gadget on the page, IE fails. Without that script block, IE’s happy.

That leads me to say that Site Meter is borked. If I comment out their supplied script block, IE is happy. With their script block, IE is unhappy.

GRRR. And I was JUST about to reach 500K visit’s too!

Update #3

image

That about says it all…

Update #4

Confirmed. It was Site Meter (and IE)

TechCrunch - Sitemeter Kills Thousands Of Sites For IE Users

the reference frame - Fix: IE7 with Sitemeter: Operation aborted

I’ve applied the “edit template” fix mentioned above and now have Site Meter back on my page.

sigh…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your definitely not the only site having this problem so a problem with Site Meter makes since.

The problem on the other sites seems to have started sometime yesterday as well.

Anonymous said...

I had that with a site I'm working on - it turned up to be the Skype IE addon that makes the problem.