Sunday, August 10, 2008

Simi Valley's Bottle Village

Blog: Steve Greenberg's Cartoons - Bottle Village

BottleVillage

“Bottle Village in Simi Valley is an obscure folk-art marvel, akin to the Watts Towers: the creative handmade output of a single obsessed individual over the course of decades.

It was heavily damaged in the Northridge Earthquake, but when funds were made available for its restoration, Rep. Elton Gallegly sneeringly derailed the measure, along with Simi Valley city officials who considered it junk, trash or an eyesore. My wife and I visited recently (following a piece in the Star a week earlier), and while it is in sad shape, there is also much to marvel at. We were allowed in one structure, and the collection of embedded bottles in the walls looked like stained glass walls in some rustic cathedral.

..."

This local political cartoon made me chuckle in the sad cynical way that can only come via a political cartoon.

Bottle Village is a part of Simi's history, like it or not, and the city would do well to embrace it...

 

Related Past Post XRef:
Simi Valley Bottle Village Movie

1 comment:

JJ said...

Hi Greg,
What a nice surprise to find Steve's cartoon! Every so often,I Google "Bottle Village" just to see what's new out there— that's how I found your Blog. I'm Joanne Johnson, long time BVer. I just put Steve's cartoon on my newest project for BV, a freebie website called Bottle Village Stuff
http://bottlevillagestuff.web.officelive.com/default.aspx

Thanks for posting the cartoon and caring about Bottle Village! Should I know what your blog is about? Yikes!