Saturday, April 04, 2009

Anyone who’s made the LA to Vegas drive will have seen this, Zzyzx Road. Ever wanted to know where the heck it went and its history? Google sightseeing has it for you…

Google Sightseeing - Zzyzx, California

“About half way between Los Angeles and Las Vegas you might spot an unusual exit sign on Interstate 15, directing you towards the delightfully unpronounceable Zzyzx Road.

If you were to take the exit, you’d find Zzyzx Road to be rather long, and very boring. …

But the length of Zzyzx Road might well have been a deliberate ploy to keep people stumbling upon what lies at the end…

Up until 1974, travellers that persevered on Zzyzx Road were rewarded with arrival at …

…”

image

Every time I drive to Vegas this road makes me chuckle and wonder just what the heck its story is. Well now I will be able to astound my friends and family with my newly found knowledge, curtsey of Google Sightseeing. :)

 

Related Past Post XRef:
Some Down Day Google Sightseeing Humor - “Top 10 Rudest Place Names in Britain”
A bird's-eye view [Google Maps with Satellite]
Simi Smiley on Google Sightseeing

2 comments:

Bryant Likes said...

Very interesting! I've seen that road on my drive to Vegas a few times and always wondered what it was. Now I know! Thanks!

Amgad said...

I've never been to the US, and I still found this very interesting.