Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Developer’s, do we really need to worry about concurrent, parallel, multi-threaded, many-core development? A picture is worth a thousands words…

The Moth - Windows 7 Task Manager screenshot

“Previously I linked to a screenshot of 96 virtual processors and now I have access to a machine that tops that!
Count them:

128VirtualProcessors

ZOMG, only 128 virtual processors…? :|

With Win 7/Win2k8 R2 supporting 256 I wonder how quickly we’ll run into that limit? At this rate, feels like…oh… Summer? lol

But again, this shows that “many-core” is coming hard and fast and we all need to seriously start thinking in that space.

In five years, this could be my notebook. LOL. (Well, okay my total WAG is at least 24 cores, 48 virtual, in top of the line notebooks in 5 years… ;)

No comments: