Monday, December 07, 2009

Microsoft Update Error number: 0x8002802B? Here’s how I finally got this fixed…

image

[Error number: 0x8002802B]

The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem.

I’ve been fighting with this Windows Update/Microsoft Update error for months now. I’ve tried the FixIt (How do I reset Windows Update components?), the WMIC/reg tweaks, the re-register components game, reinstalling IE, etc, etc, etc and nothing seemed to worked. And when I tried to install the Windows Update agent I’d get “WUA is already installed. No changes made.”… sigh…

That is until today. Finally I found a solution that actually fixed my MS Update! My MS Update is now happy again.

In order to give this solution a bump and so I can find it again, I’m capturing it here;

Error number: 0x8002802B in Windows Update

Problem:

“System: Windows Home Server
Browser: IE8
WUA: Windows Update Agent 7.2.6001.788 - Installed 10/21/2009 via Automatic Updates (Note this was the last update installed.)

I am unable to update my system due the error listed in the subject [0x8002802B]. The page displays the following message:

"The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem."

The Automatic Update control panel indicates that the Automatic Updates service is enabled and set to "Automatic (recommended)". The Services
management tool indicates that the service is "Started".

However the Microsoft Updates page directs me to enable the AU service.

Note: There are no related errors in the event logs.

I've tried the following:
Disable "Microsoft Updates" => "Windows Updates" fails the same way and indicates that AU should be enabled.

Reinstalling the Windows Update Agent => "WUA is already installed. No changes made." 
…”

Solution

“I executed the following in a cmd window:
C:\>windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe /?

This produced the following help information:
/wuforce
/quiet
/norestart

I ran the installer with the /wuforce option and that resolved the issues…”

image 

The /wuforce command line option and the How do I reset Windows Update components? FixIt combination is what finally did it for me. First I ran the Windows Update FixIt, rebooted and then ran windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe /wuforce

Now my Windows Update is happy and working again!  :)

image

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting this, I have had this issue for about two months. I also tried the automated "fix it" tool, and it did not help me at all. This fixed me right up.

I hate how poorly documented the windows update errors are.