Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Tip on how to sync Visual Studio settings between machines

Bite my bytes - Syncing Visual Studio settings

“I finally took time and figure out how to keep Visual Studio settings in sync across different machines (work, laptop, home, virtual,…) as I really grew tired of importing color schemes and fixing mixed up shortcut keys. Bonus is, you get easy backup of your most important settings which you will love next time you reinstall your machine!

Actually this is really simple task. What you’ll need is some kind of syncing program, I currently run DropBox, but I believe Live Sync would also work. Same procedure works for Visual Studio 2008 and 2010. Might also work with previous version, but I don’t have them installed, so I can’t check.

First, export your settings into a file. I choose to sync only color and font setting and keyboard settings.

image…”

Quick, simple, easy and free, four of my favorite things. I’m not sure I would have thought to use the “team settings” to execute this, but in hindsight that makes sense (assuming you’re not already using that for, well, shared team settings… ;)

No comments: