Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Is "Microsoft Design Style" is the new Metro/Modern UI/Whatever design style name?

Infragistics - Brent's Bytes - Microsoft Design Style - The real new name

"... I'm happy to note today though that the speculation can come to an end. 

Microsoft Design Style - the real new "Metro"

I have confirmation from Microsoft employees very close to the matter that "Microsoft Design Style" is the term that should be used to refer to the design style used on Xbox, Microsoft.com, Zune, Windows Phone, and Windows 8.  The distinction here is that this describes the whole design style much in the same way "Metro" did previously.  When referring specifically to the Windows 8 ecosystem, we can say we are building "Windows Store Apps" using the "new Windows UI" which was developed using the "Microsoft Design Style."  Where I might have said "Metro Design Principles" before, I can translate that to "Microsoft Design Principles."

I will be using this term going forward as well as updating references in my Windows 8 design series and book."

Can I just say I wish Microsoft had fought to keep the Metro name (Or bought the rights, etc)? I hate this name confusion... But at least now we HAVE a name for the design style formally known as Metro. Right?

No comments: