Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Outlook's 1-Minute Rule [Auto Defer Email Send for 1 Minute Rule]

Outlook's 1-Minute Rule

Nice tip on adding a rule to Outlook 2003 to automatically defer all outgoing email for 1 minute.

There are more times than I can count that I've hit the Send button, and then immediately think, "Damn, I should have CC'ed....", etc. The "Locking the keys in the car as you look at them on the seat" syndrome...

I've copied the steps below so I can highlight #3. I missed the second part of #3 and it jacked me up for a bit...

"1. Click on "Rules and Alerts" under the "Tools" menu

2. Click on "New Rule..."

3. Start from blank rule [GD: Select the Blank Rule radio button], and "check messages after sending" [GD: Two options that will appear when you select on the "Blank Rule" radio button, select the "Check messages after sending" and then click next]

4. Click "Next" and don't select any conditions so that every message will be deferred

5. Click "Next" and "OK" on the confirmation dialog box asking if you are sure you want to apply this to every message

6. Select "Defer delivery by a number of minutes" and change "a number of minutes" to "1". [GD: I actually set mine to 2 minues] This is usually the last action in the list

7. You can click "Next" to specify exceptions or choose a name for the rule or just click "Finish"

8. Be sure to move the rule to the top of your rules or at least before any of the other rules that apply to outgoing messages."

No comments: