Thursday, November 10, 2005

Pandora - aka Greg's Rock Radio

Discover Music - Pandora

"Q: What is Pandora?

Pandora is a music discovery service designed to help you find and enjoy music that you'll love. It's powered by the Music Genome Project, the most comprehensive analysis of music ever undertaken. Just tell us one of your favorite songs or artists and we'll launch a streaming station to explore that part of the music universe.

Q: How do you decide what to play?

We take your input (artists, songs) and feedback ("I like this", "I don't like this") and use the Music Genome Project to create stations that play songs that are musically similar to what you've told us. That's it; only the music counts. We don't care how popular the artist is, who's backing them, and we don't care which genre bin they usually belong in. Only the music matters.

Q: How much does it cost?

Pandora is available in two forms. Both versions have exactly the same features.

The first form is an advertising-supported version which is entirely free. ..."


This is a very cool music streaming service.

You feed it songs or bands you like and it creates a station for you with songs of the same "type". For example, I started my station with Green Day, AudioSlave, Yellowcard... Now I'm listening to Never Again by Nickelback (and now Wall of Shame by Course of Nature).

Over time you can continue to add bands or songs to keep expanding or refining your station.

What I also dig is that there are links to Amazon (and iTunes) to purchase album (or song).

But like Robert, I wish there were a full client in addition to the Flash based one. Like him, I'd like it to hide in my system tray, instead of keeping a browser window open (which even the "small" version does). Not that the Flash version is bad. Heck it's a great Flash app, one of the better and most usable I've seen. But still...

Anyway, that's not going to keep me from using this service... It's very very cool.

(via Scobleizer - Microsoft Geek Blogger - Mary Jo warns Microsoft not to drink Web 2.0 koolaid

No comments: