Wednesday, March 22, 2006

My First Soup to Nuts Team Foundation Server Install

With the RTM of Team Foundation Server (TFS), it was time I get real about it and get it installed.

Today was that day. Starting with a fresh Win2003 install, I now have a working TFS install.

How long? Hours. Mostly due to install time and hunting down Win2003 & SQL Server ISO’s.

My main advice? Follow the Checklist and install How To’s closely. They are a great resource and will get you up and running with little or no problems (hopfully... your mileage may vary, etc, etc). There are a good bit of moving parts and pieces that need to be setup, setup correctly and in the right order. The checklist will help you with this... Don’t cowboy the install. RTFC (Read The Fine Checklist  ;)

So what do I have to do now?

A) Move the databases from their default C drive location to the RAID drives (E).
This should be... um... easy? I hope? Detach, move and then Attach?

B) Get the purchase process moving to get Standard.

C) Plan my VSS migration.

D) Generally play with it in a production mode.
I learn best by doing, so I need to pick a low risk CLR2 project and make the move to TFS...

E) Plan my existing Bug/Feature Tracking system (Test Director/Defect Manager) migration to TFS.

F) Install Team Build. Need to research this as I don’t want the builds to happen on TFS, but another box. I’m pretty sure this is do’able, I just need to figure out how.

New toys are so much fun.... ;)

No comments: