Thursday, March 16, 2006

Post2Blog and Blogger Fun... (The Quest of the Line Feed)

In my quest for a new blog client, Jon recommend I try Post2Blog...

I’ve been using it for a couple weeks now and really like it. It does what I want, how I want it done and with no major problems. This just might be the blog client I’ve been looking for. But I’ve just run into one issue with using it with Blogger.

Blogger has a feature to automatically convert line feeds into breaks <br>. For the longest time, I left that on because I was using clients where that feature made sense (like Blogger’s BlogThis...). Well when posting from Post2Blog, I was getting extra breaks... breaks for breaks and for the line feeds. So I turned off that feature.

That was...um... bad. The problem is that I didn’t know that feature was live. I thought the break insert was done at post time and was permanent. Nope. It’s done at publish time. So each time a post is published (like when someone comments on a post, or the blog is republished, etc) the line feeds were converted to breaks (or not converted with the feature off).

This resulted in some VERY ugly past posts.

So I’ve turned the "line feed to break" feature back on. This means older posts will again look good, but my more recent posts (for the last 15 days or so) will have extra breaks.

The good news is that I think I’ve found a Post2Blog work around to strip out the extra line feeds prior to posting. Click on the "HTML Code" tab, "Post Editor" tab and then back on "HTML Code" tab. Now all the extra line feeds are gone. Yeah!

Now I have to test that (with this post) and also remember that process going forward. Also if I stick with this client and buy it (which I’m leaning toward) I’ll have to post a "strip line feeds on post" suggestion on their site...

Related Past Post XRef:
Testing a New Blog Post Client (PowerBlog)
New Blogger "Blog This"

Technorati Tags: , ,

No comments: