Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Scott, Mr. Windows Live Writer Plugin Guy, Lovegrove has released 7 of his 10 WLW Plugs as OSS (via CodePlex)

InsertableContentSource - Opening Up My Plugins

"I made a decision today. I decided that I was going to open up my plugins to the world; well, most of them. Out of my 10 plugins that I have, I have put 7 of them on CodePlex and made them opensource. ...

So, what ones are up there then? Well the Live Spaces Photo one and the Google Translator were already on there, but here's the complete list:

So enjoy smile_regular. One thing I do ask though, if you do modify any of the plugins, please, let me know, I'd love to see what you thought of adding/changing, and if you do release anything based off my plugins, please link back to this blog...."

Scott has created a number of very cool plugin's for Windows Live Writer and now you can see how he does it. He's taken what can be a scary step for a developer and released his source.

Having done it myself, it can be very humbling and scary. I'm mean we're throwing these things together cause we think they would be cool, we hack and slash to make them function, and we try new things that may or may not work and we're usually learning new stuff/services/etc as we go. So the code can be pretty darn "FUBLY" (FUnction, But ugLY) and now we're releasing it so the world can see it? To me, that's fricken scary.  ;)

So kudos' to Scott for taking this step. You rock Scott.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks. Although I wasn't feeling brave (or kind, depending on your outlook ;)) enough to release my video plugin's source code ;)

Greg said...

Yeah, but you're working on a major new version, so it makes sense to hold off posting the source... um... yeah... right?

;)