Thursday, May 06, 2004

Installing Longhorn 4074... (WinHEC version)

So I'm giving the latest Longhorn client that was released this week a Virtual PC install try...

Only at the "Starting Setup" phase, but at least I could mount the downloaded ISO in VPC :)

Can't tell for sure yet, but it looks like this version is better at detecting the VPC video card. [Update: Nope, wasn't]

Wait, now at the "Welcome to Windows Setup"

Grr. It didn't auto detect the mouse. Once it's done, I'll add the VPC Additions and hopefully that will do it.

Moving forward using the keyboard. (How very Windows 3.1)

Product Key? where did I put that? Oh yeah, I don't have one yet. (Going to MSDN... Got it.)

Installing now. 14 minutes left...

After 30 minutes, there's now 11 minutes left. :) (Of course I'm doing other work on the PC as it installs, and I have VPC setup to give Host OS priority when the Guest PC is in the background, so the speed is expected).

VPC Reboot. "Please wait while Windows prepares to start......"

Setup continues now... Cool. Looks like the install did find the mouse.

Detecting Hardware now.

An hour later... Still detecting hardware... GO, VPC, GO!!!

30 minutes later... Hardware detect done. VPC Reboot.

Looks like I'm in. Boy the default "leaf" desktop wallpaper looks like crap at 16 colors :|

When the HD light stops, I'll install the VPC Additions... Come on, come on... I want to play. Can't wait. Will try and install them now...

Cool. Installing... Took a while (15-20 minutes?) to get to the user interface part of the Virtual Machine Additions setup. Continuing to install. While that was starting up, also got a "Found new hardware" dialog for the soundblaster. The Search for Driver couldn't find a local copy of the SB16 driver, so now it's trying to find one on Windows Update. Couldn't find a SB16 driver. Will have to try again after the Additions are done.

Additions installed and rebooting. (for the last time?)

Looks much better now... Trying the SB16 install game again.

But besides that I think I done! yeah!

Time to play

No comments: