Monday, July 12, 2004

Nice utility: Eraser...

Nice utility: Eraser...


"Eraser is a tool to securely remove data from HDs/floppies, etc...

It can erase files and unused space, using different secure algorithms.

The REAL use for this tool for me is to ERASE unused disk space, filling it with 0s (I created a custom rule), on my virtual HDs, so I can compress them using the Virtual Disk Wizard."

I really should read the doc's/wizards... No wonder why my VPC's would never compress well... dogh!

Trying this out now...

Update: I must not be using it right. I used it to overwrite "unused space on the disk". Bad... It filled the 16GB virtual drive... i.e. my VHD was now 16GB!
And I didn't have any room to try and compress that. sigh.

I guess I'll be reinstalling VS2005...

Nice thing about VPC is that I keep baseline images, so I can always start back at a known point (without worrying about undo drives, or having to reinstall the OS's fresh, etc, etc).

Live and learn...

At this point I would NOT recommend this utility to help compress/compact VPC's Virtual Hard Drives UNLESS you have a ton of free driver space (32GB free+)

(via Lorenzo Barbieri)

No comments: