Monday, October 18, 2004

"ONIX is an acronym for ONline Information EXchange" and My Book Shelf Application

ONIX

"ONIX is a standard format that publishers can use to distribute electronic information about their books to wholesale, e-tail and retail booksellers, other publishers, and anyone else involved in the sale of books."

I want to take a look at this information, primarily the 2.1 Specification to see if there's anything interesting.


I'm working on a personal project (tentatively titled, "My Book Shelf") to track my paperbacks. Mostly to keep my skills fresh and as a "resume ware" product. Plus my brain is full and I am having a hard time remembering what's I've already read, what book in a series I still want to read, where my books are, etc, etc.

I finished my v1 data model this weekend and am now working some code proof of concepts to validate it...

My primary feature is a graphically book cover browsing utility. I want to be able to see a "virtual" bookshelf. Then as I hover over a book, or click on it, I get more info/options (maybe drag and drop books into "storage" locations [book x is in box #11]? Or onto "people" when I lend a book?). I want an smart client app that mimics the feeling of browsing books in a bookstore or library.

At least that's the plan. I've got the webservice hook to Amazon in place and am now storing/caching the book covers in my SQL DB as blobs. This coming weekend I'm starting on the browser...

(Via ISBlogN - Whither Onix?)

2 comments:

Greg said...

Thanks for your comment...

1) VS2K3/VB.Net/SQL 2K (For now)

I'm thinking hard on moving to VS2K5/SQL2K5, as I want to do some threading and want to take advantage of the new threading stuff in it...

Think I'll keep it 2K3 for a bit and move when the next beta of VS2K5 comes out.

2) I hope to post it somewhere. I have to be careful though... I signed a IP contract at my current place and need to confirm that I won't get into trouble posting my code.

Doesn't matter that I'm coding it on my time, on my machine, with my licenses, etc. The IP contract states (in short), if I think it, they own it... sigh

Once it's closer to being a working prototype I'll fight that battle...

Greg said...

No, I havn't had the drive to play with it yet. I'm going to when I move this project over to VS2K5...

I don't want to over thread my app (or my brain my explode), so I'm keeping everything on the main thread until I have a true reason to spawn another... and that's what will drive me to VS2K5. I mean, why do it the hard (1.1) way? :)