Thursday, November 25, 2004

Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File

Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File

With as much time as I seem to spend on the Net, this might come in handy.

This article talks about using a Hosts file to block/alias known adware and spyware sites. It also provides an updated Hosts for download (i.e. the dirty work is already done for you).

Using a Hosts file IS a slimy hack, but should work. Sure there are file size issues and possible performance problems, but I really like how low-tech it is...

I'm giving a try (you don't even need to reboot... cool) and will let you know if I run into any show stopping problems.

(via Don Kiely's Technical Blatherings - No-Cost Web Ad Blocking)

Update #1 11/25/2004 @ 4:05 PM PST:
Well I've already this backed out. On enough sites to be irritating I was the IE login dialog. Sites like Hotmail, etc...

Maybe I should actually read the whole post and then decide to use the new Hosts file.

:|

No comments: