Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Hector Protector Button/Screen Saver

Hector Protector Button/Screen Saver

"This Hector ProtectorTM button has been created by the NetSafe Programme of New Zealand to help keep children safe online. The function of this button is to give a child the ability to quickly cover the screen of the computer with a screensaver of Hector ProtectorTM when they encounter material that frightens or upsets them. With a click of the button, the problem is covered over by Hector until a trusted adult can come and deal with the situation. Hector also gives children very positive feedback for using the button and talking with an adult about the problem."


I saw this yesterday and I'm not sure what to think about it... but it strikes me as weird.

I just can't see my son using this. He's about to turn 11, so maybe he's outgrown it? I mean, I can see him accidentally getting an adult web page, tilting his head to the side and saying, "Gross!" and closing it. I just don't see him pushing the "Hector" button and running to get Dad (though maybe... err... never mind...).

I don't know... maybe it makes sense. I'll might have to give it a try to see if he'll use it.

Maybe I can define "material that frightens or upsets them" as the IE Program Install dialog so he stops install so much crap on my system... Oh wait, it's me that gets upset. Damn I need a Remote Hector button.

:|

No comments: