Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Welcome Back Shuttle Crew!

So there I was this morning at around 5 am PDT, standing in my front yard, waiting for the Shuttle to pass over. The Shuttle's route was a little north of Los Angeles, "over a more rural area to avoid the major metro area of LA, just incase..." So that pretty much meant right over my house in Simi Valley. :|

First came the "hand clap of God" double sonic booms. Wow. Talk about waking up the neighbors. The echo continued for a few minutes... a deep rumble you could feel in your bones.

Then there it was. A bright light high in the sky traveling south west to north east, toward Edwards AFB. As it passed over head I was filled with an undescriable feeling of relief and pride.

Welcome home

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It woke my wife and I up, thinking it an earthquake. Was not expecting it to be coming over top of us here in Simi. Last I heard it would be Florida.

Kudos for being up and around, had I known for sure, I'd have rousted myself from bed to see it too!

Greg said...

Yeah, I know what you mean...

I was getting ready for work and was surprised to see a 20 minute landing countdown...

I figured work could wait a few minutes. ;)

Anonymous said...

And you guys were in the national news today. Not only do you hear sonic booms from shuttles but you also hear booms from nuts shooting cars whose alarms are going off.