Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Getting Started with My.Blogs

Getting Started with My.Blogs

"My.Blogs is a collection of sample code that will show you how you can easily provide programmatic access to weblogs in the applications you build. Full source code is provided along with Windows Forms, ASP.NET 2.0, and a Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office Outlook Add-In.

...

Moving forward, it makes sense that we as Visual Basic developers will want to add this type of communication and community support to our own Microsoft Windows Forms, Microsoft ASP.NET, Microsoft Office 2003, and mobile applications. The .NET Framework 2.0 makes writing code based on networking (like HTTP) and XML schemas (like RSS 2.0) incredibly straightforward. Visual Basic 2005 makes creating and accessing this code in other projects incredibly easy by leveraging the My namespace.

My.Blogs is a collection of sample code that will show you how you can easily provide programmatic access to weblogs in the applications you build. The My.Blogs sample code supports reading from blogs feeds (including RSS 2.0, ATOM 1.0, and RDF 1.0) as well as posting entries to blog servers (using the MetaWebLog API). ...."


Sounds cool, but I wonder how far we really need to go in the "My" space? How much is too much (i.e. does this really need to be in the "My" namespace?)?

My."project stuff" (references/forms/resources/etc) makes sense. My."environment" (files/disks/system/running app/etc) stuff also makes sense. But in my gut, My.Blogs just feels a little misplaced.

Still I think it's pretty cool seeing a RSS feed hooked to the DataSource of a grid in three lines of code...

No comments: