Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Coming in OneNote "12"

Chris_Pratley's OneNote WebLog : Unifying the analog and the digital with OneNote

"... Screen clippings: When you use the screen clippings feature in OneNote (Windows-S shortcut), you can insert a screenshot of an area of the screen you choose. This image is then OCR'd just like those other images. In fact, we're including about four different OCR engines in OneNote, each one optimized for different types of images that contain text. We sniff the type of image and use the appropriate one automatically. ..."

"...Audio/Video: Audio and Video you have recorded or placed in OneNote will also get indexed (Video is indexed by the audio stream). This is some cool MSR technology from our lab in Beijing that we're quite pleased to have. The way this works is pretty cool. The audio is converted from waveforms to phonetic equivalents, and those are indexed. You can type your search term, then this is converted by OneNote into a phonetic equivalent which searches against the phonetic index of the audio...."

I've yet to really been bitten by the OneNote bug yet... But I see the bug crawling toward me.

I've recently allowed the OneNote system tray item to load and am trying to get into using it. Seeing the stuff coming in v12 has increased my interest in OneNote. I think auto OCR of screenshots would be pretty darn cool. Also they are doing some nifty stuff with audio/video indexing.

As it is, I don't know 10% of what you can do with the current version of OneNote. For example, I didn't know that if you grab a screenshot with OneNote of a web page, the URL of the page is included on the OneNote page! That's cool!

Here's an OneNote captured screenshot example from Dennis Kennedy's blog that resparked my interest in OneNote. See the URL at the bottom? That was just there automagically. Very cool...


I guess it's time to play with OneNote a little more (and maybe stop creating all those txt files with misc notes on my desktop, folders of screenshots, draft emails of thoughts, etc, etc, Dogh! ... ;)

(Via DennisKennedy.blog - Getting a Glimpse at What's Coming in OneNote

No comments: