Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Unchanged ClickOnce Files are Copied and not Downloaded

Saurabh Pant's Weblog : File Patching

"While upgrading from v1.0 to v2.0 of an ClickOnce application, files/assemblies that have remained unchanged (have the same hash) across the update are not redownloaded from the server. Instead they are just copied over locally in the Clickonce store from the v1.0 to v2.0 app folder. This is totally transparent to the user except for the Download Progress Bar moving much quicker due to the local copy. ..."

VERY nice.

I was a little concerned about this as my ClickOnce app's are stating to get more internal and 3rd party components. Components that don't change all the often. While I would accept the fact that they are copied down each time there's a new release, I wouldn't like it...

Now it seems I have one less thing to worry about.

The more I use ClickOnce the more I like it. It's so much nicer than the Auto Update methods I've used in the past...

No comments: