Wednesday, February 08, 2006

"Less MSIérables: A tool to Extract the contents of an .msi File"

Less MSIérables: A tool to Extract the contents of an .msi File

"…spent a night hacking together a simple tool that lets me take these miserable .msi files and extract their contents. Since others may find it useful too, I figured I'd put it out here.

It works from the command line, has a simple form that lets you extract files and view msi tables. Let me warn you the first time you run it, it will add an "Extract" item to the right-click menu in explorer when right-clicking on .msi files (the added registry entry is made at \\\Registry\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Msi.Package\shell\Extract\command\). Thanks to the WiX project for the handy utility classes for working with msi files and awesome reference on msi internals.

screenshot of less msiérables: a tool to extract the contents of an .msi file …"

Very cool…

Sometimes I just need to pull a specific file from a MSI and this looks like just the tool to help me do that. Plus I thought the name cute (err… um… cute? Na, can’t be seen saying that in public… um… Clever.. yeah, that’s what I meant… it’s a clever name!  ;) 

(via SHELL EXTENSION CITY)

No comments: