Wednesday, September 06, 2006

BlogML 2.0 Released

CodePlex - BlogML

"You can download BlogML 2.0 from here and find more about it on these blog posts: 1, 2

About BlogML
BlogML is an XML format for storing the entire content of a blog.  You can use BlogML as a way to archive the contents of blogs or to act as a standard format for transferring content from one blog to another - this could include migrating a blog from one blogging engine to another.  There are currently several blogging engines that provide support for BlogML including:

  • Community Server
  • Das Blog
  • Subtext
  • SingleUserBlog

There are also implementations that exist for converting Blogger content to BlogML.

..."

When I write my Blogger Backup utility (yeah, yeah, I know... I've been talking about this for about a billion years or so... but I might still build it... really... hopefully.. maybe... ;) I'm 99% certain I'll use BlogML as the output. Seems pretty silly to invent my own schema (be it DB or XML), doesn't it?

Seeing the Blogger snip on the BlogML home page, I did a quick search and found a couple implementations. The problem is that they will not work for me. Some require template tweaks and others only grab the last 99/100 posts.

Still BlogML solves one my major problems, what to do with the data once I extract it...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Greg - You might want to checkout the Blogger Data API which has been made available recently.

http://code.google.com/apis/gdata/blogger.html

I'd love to see a Blooger -> BlogML converter that uses the API.

Greg said...

Actually I did (http://coolthingoftheday.blogspot.com/2006/08/blogger-gets-new-api.html), and given that I only looked at it for a bit, I didn't see any method to download all my posts.

But you're right, when I get started on this again, I should take another look at it...