Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Ruby Rocks? I think I'm maybe starting to get it... maybe...

Scott Hanselman's ComputerZen.com - Programmer Intent or What you're not getting about Ruby and why it's the tits

"A user named yesthatmcgurk left a comment on DotNetKicks where he/she said:

I must be a complete loser, because I can't see where Ruby is such hot shit. I'd love to read a story, "What you're not getting about Ruby and why its the tits."

Such a great comment that I had to get involved. One of the other commenters pointed to a post over on "Softies on Rails" that's really worth reading.

Note: Forgive the use of "the tits" in this context. "Slang Definition: A description of something you show great liking to, or greatly appreciate..." Usually not a work-friendly phrase, but perhaps pub-appropriate.

...

There are some fun one-liner comparisons though and some folks think that paying a:

Java:

new Date(new Date().getTime() - 20 * 60 * 1000)

Ruby:

20.minutes.ago

..."

I've been wondering about the hype around Ruby. Wondering if I had to make room in my brain for another programming language. Wondering just what Ruby brought to the table and exactly how it would make my life easier. Wondering why I should care...

Well the above one-liner sealed it for me. That IS magic JuJu.

Once .Net has production support for Ruby (i.e. when the Dynamic Language Runtime [DLR] & Ruby support ships, announced at MIX07) I'm going to give it a go.

myWatchList += Ruby

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This isn't the post that I had read earlier, but it's close enough -- all that will be available in C#/VB in .NET 3.5:

http://derekslager.com/blog/posts/2006/10/channeling-ruby-in-csharp-3.ashx

Greg said...

Nice link... Thank you.