Saturday, February 23, 2008

Stop Stealing my Cycles - Vendors please STOP with the "Updater" processes and just leverage the OS (aka Bart's Intro to the Task Scheduler 2.0 via Managed Code)

B# .NET Blog - Calling the Task Scheduler in Windows Vista (and Windows Server 2008) from managed code

"...

Obviously I completely agree with the statement on leveraging the power of the OS foundations whenever possible rather than reinventing the wheel once over again. Task Scheduler 2.0 is a great sample of such rich functionality offered by the OS and especially now we're shipping Windows Server 2008 this becomes even more important for server applications. Nevertheless, for desktop uses the Task Scheduler provides a tremendous amount of functionality as well and Windows Vista is using its own dogfood as you can see when you execute schtasks from the command-line (indicated a few well-known tasks in red):

...

In this post I'll cover how to use this API in a fairly easy way from managed code though COM interop, and I'll explain some of the richness the platform can give you.

..."

I don't know about your system, but on mine I have about two to three zillion background "updater" processes loaded. From Flash, Acrobat, Xobni, Symantec, HP, etc, etc, etc, it seems that every product has its own "auto updating, new update checker, thing" actively loaded. Sure we can (and I do) kill them off, but usually when you start their primary application they "help" and automagicly add those processes back.

Vendors... Please STOP. The new MS OS's (Vista, Windows 2008) have a great new task scheduler built in. Please stop reinventing the wheel. It will be MUCH simpler to implement, easier to maintain and your users will be much happier if you just leverage what the OS already provides.

I love auto-updating applications. I hate having to constantly check a web site/feed for new updates. I appreciate that you are trying to keep me current. But how often are you really releasing updates? Can't you check once a day/week? And if so, why are you stealing my cycles, memory, power and slowing my startup in the mean time? Just schedule the check and be done with it...

Yes, I know Vista/W2k8 is still the minority, but you know the writing is on the wall. There's enough Vista installs out there to justify getting started on moving toward the light... Even Anakin, after years of evil, was able to redeem himself. If he can do it, don't you think you can?  ;)

 

Wow... Okay, sorry about that. I got a little excited there, didn't I?

Anyway Bart, in his usual outstanding style, has provided a great article on accessing the Task Scheduler 2.0 from managed code....

No comments: