Thursday, March 27, 2008

Did you know you could delete a Registry Key or Value via a normal .Reg file?

Neno Loje's Treasury - INFO: .REG files can also delete keys and values

"REG files can not only add and modify but also delete keys and values from the Windows registry.

To delete a registry key

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Test]

To delete a registry value

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Test
"TestValue"=-

Enjoy!" [Post leached in full]

sigh... I've been hacking .reg files for like a billion years (okay for 14+, since the Chicago, aka Win95, betas ) and I don't think I knew that you could do this (if I did, I've long since forgotten it)

I've been using different command line utilities to delete reg keys and values. Well no more of that for me!  :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, a very rarely known thing...I also didn't know...came to know about it last year and felt the same way. How did I discover it? A registry key file from Symantec.com to remove all instances of Norton AntiVirus!

Greg said...

LOL... Nice