Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Simple Sudo command line tool for Vista (with C# Source) [Insert clever Phil Collins “Sussudio” quip here]

CraigBlog - Announcing Sudo for Windows

“If you’ve used a Unix much, I’m sure you’re familiar with sudo, a command-line utility that lets you run things as the superuser. Not only it is very handy, but it is the basis for one of the better XKCD strips.

Sudo is one of those things I find myself wishing for in Windows, especially given the new(ish) UAC features in Vista/Windows 2008. There are lots of times when I just want to run something as administrator, dammit. Typing “sudo notepad2 C:\somewhere\foo.txt” would fit the bill.

…All it does is execute whatever arguments get passed to it, but the program itself has the “require administrator” bit in the manifest, so the target program winds up running elevated as well.

…”

Su Do

“Launches other processes with elevated privileges. Like the sudo command in Unix.

Installing

Just unzip the binaries into your PATH somewhere.

Usage

Note : not a GUI app. Use it from a command line.

sudo <program> [ <arg1> [ <arg2> [ ... <argn> ] ] ]

Examples

 sudo cmd

…”

Am I dating myself if I say when I see “sudo” the first thing that comes to mind is the Sussudio from Phil Collins?

Simple, small (7k), easy, yet one that I’m going to use all the time, utility. No install, just copy the exe to your path. And like I mentioned in the title, the C# source is available for download too.

No comments: