Friday, November 28, 2008

Visual Studio, Log Thy Self

Sara Ford's WebLog - Did you know… There’s a way to have Visual Studio log its activity for troubleshooting? - #366

“There’s a built-in command line switch devenv.exe /log to log Visual Studio activity, e.g. which packages got loaded, etc. I’ll call out immediately that the documentation is wrong, but you should read Paul’s comments at the bottom of the page for the real documentation (Paul was a dev on VS). http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms241272.aspx

…”

This is a tip that I’ve been needing for a bit now, but to lazy to look for.

Every so often, when I shutdown VS, I get the “This application has generated an error, do you want to restart it” dialog (which doh, I don’t want to restart it because I was shutting down the app…;)

I’ve been trying to resolve it off and on for the a while now, but since it’s not a show stopper and only an irritant, I don’t invest too much time. Well with the log switch, maybe I can stop the hunt and peck resolution/debugging I’ve been using and get to the root of the issue. It’s worth a try at least…

No comments: