Monday, August 31, 2009

“Cash for Clunky Editors” promotion from SlickEdit

SlickEdit Cash for Clunky Editors Program

I consider the SlickEdit team “Friends of the Blog” and when last week Jason sent me with a preview of their new promotion, it made me chuckle and thought it well worth sharing with you.

While we’re ALL tired (well at least those of us in the US) of the “Stimulus” and “Cash for …” knock-off’s I thought SlickEdit’s tongue-in-cheek approach pretty funny.

At first you might think they are serious (which they are about the discount) until you start actually reading it. So over the top you just have to laugh. I love a company that’s not so afraid of “we could be sued!” that then can sound and act almost… well… human… ;)

"This could lead to a potential boom, the likes of which hasn't been seen since the post-WWII expansion"

and

Effect on the Nation: Productivity Boom
In terms of economic stimulus, this could have a much greater effect on the nation than the cash for clunkers car program. Consider that many programmers use minimalist editors that provide little help to analyze and navigate their code, don't include powerful completions, or features to cut the number of keystrokes necessary to type their code.

If these programmers switched to a more powerful editor, like...oh, let's say, SlickEdit...their productivity would go way up. Since software underlies almost every industry, this could lead to a potential boom…”

http://www.slickedit.com/promotions/cash4clunkers/slickedit-cash-for-clunky-editors-program

image

I tried to get them to give me a discount for Notepad, but they didn’t bite… :p

On a very related note…

I have a review/NFR copy of SlickEdit that I've been using for a bit and even thought I'm a VS guy, I'm still digging it. It works great on Win7 RTM and having it in my Send To list is perfect (which they thoughtfully do for you, optionally, on installation). I used to use Notepad for this, but “Send To”ing SlickEdit is providing much more value, with little performance price…

I’m slowly and not very steadily, working on a review of SlickEdit from a VS guy’s POV. I’ll try to get that wrapped up and out to you all one of these days (cough… I hope… I’ve been saying that I need to get this done for months now… sigh).

Sometimes you just need more mojo than a free editor can provide, and come on, SlickEdit is a top tier product and have been around for like forever.

Disclosure: No I don’t work for SlickEdit and no I was not paid for this post. I did receive a free review/NFR copy of SlickEdit recently. But in reality, I just like the team, their products and have always had great customer service and interaction with them. Jason shared the promotion with me and I’m now sharing it with you…

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

:(

This has been removed from their site...

Get it while it's still in the Google Cache :D

Also, check out:

http://blog.slickedit.com/2009/08/my-economic-stimulus-plan-cash-for-clunky-editors/

But, it's not as colorful as the link you sent was.

Thanks,
Jeff

Greg said...

Confirmed. Contacting them now to see what happened...

Greg said...

Try it now...

Just got word back and confirmed the link is working again.