Thursday, February 11, 2010

Possible Windows 7 x64 & Cisco VPN solution? (Don’t, use Shrew Soft VPN Client for Windows instead)

LessThanDot/IT Professionals - If you are suffering from Cisco VPN on 64 bit Windows then use the Shrew Soft VPN client

“By now you probably have heard or seen the complains that there is no viable 64 bit VPN client that will work with a Cisco VPN. I myself either used a Virtual Machine (Virtual Box) or I have a dual boot system where I boot into the Fisher Price looking OS to VPN into work.

Yesterday my suffering ended. I downloaded the Shrew Soft VPN Client For Windows and it has been working great. It will even import Cisco pcf files so that you don't need to configure the VPN client if you already have the Cisco pcf files.

Download the Shrew Soft VPN client here: [GD: click thought for the link… Didn’t want to leach their traffic]

image

…”

At work we all want to run Win7 x64, but due to our dependence on the Cisco VPN client we’ve been stuck in x32 land (and the work arounds have not been really viable for us). So when I saw this I dropped what I was doing and passed onto our IT crew… Keeping my fingers crossed that this works out.

Oh BTW, Shrew Soft VPN Client For Windows is donation-ware (i.e. if you like/use it, donate the amount that you feel is right/appropriate/ethical to help keep the project moving forward…)

 

Update 2/11/2010 @ 10:00 AM PST:
According to @MotoWilliams (Eric Willams) the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client has been working great for him on Win7 x64 since Win7 beta days… So looks like there’s a couple options. MAN I love the power of the Net!  :)

3 comments:

Huseyin Tufekcilerli said...

The other day I've also switched to Win7 x64 at work and had the very same issue you have here. Then I've discovered this great piece of software that worked flawlessly. Now I should convince my boss to make a donation.

Anonymous said...

Cisco AnyConnect works great on Win7 x64, it's very fast.

3tech said...

I am on windows 7 ultimate, I can confirm that the program is working very well.