Friday, May 13, 2011

Why is my SQL Server being slow... Top 10 PerfMon Counters for SQL Server Performance Monitoring

Database Journal - Top 10 SQL Server Counters for Monitoring SQL Server Performance

"Do you have a list of SQL Server Counters you review when monitoring your SQL Server environment? Counters allow you a method to measure current performance, as well as performance over time. Identifying the metrics you like to use to measure SQL Server performance and collecting them over time gives you a quick and easy way to identify SQL Server problems, as well as graph your performance trend over time.

Below is my top 10 list of SQL Server counters in no particular order. For each counter I have described what it is, and in some cases I have described the ideal value of these counters. This list should give you a starting point for developing the metrics you want to use to measure database performance in your SQL Server environment.

SNAGHTMLbd82c6a..."

There's only about 1.97 billion performance counters to look at on a typical Windows Server, let alone adding SQL Server into the mix, so I like to keep my eyes open for information about "good" counters to look at.

What I liked about this SQL Server focused Counter list is the brief explanation as to why the counter is important and what it means...

No comments: