Monday, April 08, 2013

Community AdventureWorks on Azure one year later, where you, the community, not only helped keep it going BUT also donated GBP351.49 to War Child charity

SSIS Junkie - AdventureWorks on Azure donates GBP351.49 to War Child. THANK YOU!

Just over 12 months ago I published a blog post entitled AdventureWorks2012 now available for all on SQL Azure. In it I explained that I had set up a Windows Azure SQL Database (then known as SQL Azure database) for the SQL Server community to use and hence familiarise themselves with the SQL Azure offering – I called this initiative “AdventureWorks on Azure”. Judging by the comments that were left in the table that I set up for that very purpose it seems that a number of people were in favour and made use of it:

image

The credentials to enable you to connect up and leave your own comment are in that same blog post!

Running a SQL Azure database is of course not free hence I asked for the community to support the initiative by contributing via PayPal to its upkeep. I hoped that there might be enough left over to make a charitable donation and as you have probably gathered from the title of this blog post I’m delighted to be able to say that that did indeed happen. A few minutes ago I made a contribution to War Child (the same charity that the SQL Server MVP Deep Dives book donated to) of £351.49

image

Thank you to everyone that made a donation especially to the extremely generous person (who shall remain nameless – you know who you are) that contributed $105.


I would like to keep AdventureWorks on Azure going for another year at least but to do that I need more donations. If you would like to support this initiative for another year take a read of the instructions below that I have copied from last year’s blog post:

AdventureWorks on Azure is being provided for the SQL Server community to use and so I am hoping that that same community will rally around to support this effort by making a voluntary donation to support the upkeep which, going on current pricing, is going to be $119.88 per year. If you would like to contribute to keep AdventureWorks on Azure up and running for that full year please donate via PayPal to adventureworksazure@hotmail.co.uk

..."

I like happy stories, where the community chips in to start and help keep running running, a cool resource like this... Congrats Jamie and kudo's to the community for their support of him and his effort. :)

 

Related Past Post XRef:
Community Driven Read-Only AdventureWorks2012 now available on SQL Azure

No comments: