Monday, July 04, 2005

Junction Shell Extensions 1.1 Released

paraesthesia: Junction Shell Extensions

"I use junction points (aka "reparse points") a lot in my daily tasks. I'm originally a Unix guy; I love hard and symbolic links. Very cool, very flexible. Windows offers a sort of hard link equivalent but doesn't directly provide tools to manipulate them or otherwise deal with them. Instead, you have to use tools like junction to create them.

Even when you do create them, when you're browsing in the Windows Explorer you'll never know they're reparse points because there's no visual cue. The only way to see is if you drop to a command prompt and run a directory ..."


I do not use junction/reparse points nearly as much as I should be. Mostly cause it's not easy...

The Junction Shell Extensions doesn't make it easy to create them, but it does make it easy to see them (which is part of the battle). Coming with both a MSI to install it and the C++ source, this is a pretty cool shell extension...

A must have if you use junction/reparse points (or are thinking you should be using them more ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will this work in Vista RTM? Vista uses the shortcut icon for Junction Points, but being able to see where the JP points to would be great!(easier than doing a dir in a command prompt).

Greg said...

I havn't tried it yet on Vista RTM so I really can't say.. Sorry