Wednesday, August 03, 2005

BGInfo (Background Info from Sysinterals)

Sysinternals Freeware - BgInfo

"How many times have you walked up to a system in your office and needed to click through several diagnostic windows to remind yourself of important aspects of its configuration, such as its name, IP address, or operating system version? If you manage multiple computers you probably need BGInfo. It automatically displays relevant information about a Windows computer on the desktop's background, such as the computer name, IP address, service pack version, and more. You can edit any field as well as the font and background colors, and can place it in your startup folder so that it runs every boot, or even configure it to display as the background for the logon screen. ..."

I've seen BGInfo before, but it really didn't click as to how cool it was until I saw this WindowsITPro article, BGInfo, Keep an eye on system info (reg required to read the entire article).

In teaser portion of the article there's a screenshot of BGInfo in action.

Okay, NOW I get it. It's SO much more than a "This is the computer name" utility.

I live in Terminal Services, and at any given time I'm connected to 5-10 sessions (at one time I was baby sitting/running/kicking distributed processing on 50+ PC's all via terminal services). And without being careful I would sometimes get lost and forget what box I was on. So after a couple hard learned lessons I cheesed up some methods to keep from getting lost again.

When I first saw BGInfo and saw the initial screenshot, I thought a "This is the computer name" utility would be a cool and might help a little, but wasn't overwhelmed.

Knowing that it was from Sysinternals, I should have known better...

Then, like I said above, I saw this shot.

Playing with it now...

No comments: