Friday, February 03, 2006

"Repairing Outlook 2003 PST Files and Size Limits by Mr. Tweak"

Repairing Outlook 2003 PST Files and Size Limits by Mr. Tweak - Windows Network & Admin Tweaks

"…

Size Limit of Outlook 2003 .PST’s: Using a Unicode database, instead of ANSI, allows the 2003 .PST file to reach a size of about 32TB (yes, terabytes!). The problem is that this is a file-based database and not a database server that properly indexes, caches, and allocates memory carefully. The result is that larger files just require more and more system resources to deal with. I am not aware of any utility currently available for dealing with 32TB Unicode .PST’s hitting their maximum file size (or any system that could efficiently use a .PST file that large either).

…"

I’m sure it’s only a matter of time until I get my first 10GB PST, and then 100GB PST and so on…

I’ve handled a good number of 2GB PST’s for a couple years now… Now that Outlook 2003 is getting some traction, it’s reasonable for me to expect much larger PST’s coming my way.

Now I have to figure out a way to scale out my processing to be able to handle 10 – 500GB PST’s.

Doesn’t EDD (Electronic Data Discovery) development sound like fun?

[Wow, there’s no Wikipedia entry for EDD and/or Electronic Data Discovery! This my chance for fame and fortune? Right…lol  ]

1 comment:

Alex said...

In this situation advise use next program-.ost to .pst,tool helped me many mites and as far as i know it is free,utility will help you to restore your data from files with *.pst and *.ost extension,tool will work under all supported versions of Microsoft Windows operating system, as well as with Microsoft Outlook,can retrieve all contents as a number of files in *.vcf, *.txt and *.eml formats,will extract thousands of different files, that will be placed into any folder, upon your choice,converting of recovered data into a *.pst file, that can be opened by any mail client or viewer .pst file, compatible with Microsoft Outlook, file size will not exceed 1Gb.