Saturday, May 19, 2007

"Fun" Uninstalling Guidance Automation Extensions (GAX) (on Vista)

In order to play with the updated Smart Client Software Factory I blogged yesterday I had to upgrade my installed Guidance Automation Extensions (which I previously installed when playing with Project Glidepath last month).

That's when my fun started.

I spent a good bit of time trying to get the Guidance Automation Extensions to uninstall. So to try to help others, I've tried to capture some steps, related information and links.

Uninstall Summary:

Special Note: Keep the old versions of the install Guidance Extension MSI's around. You may need these to uninstall them in the future...

  • Uninstall all Guidance Packages (like Project Glidepath, Smart Client Software Factory, etc) [Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs worked for me here)
  • Uninstall Guidance Automation Toolkit [I didn't have this installed, so I was good]
  • Uninstall Guidance Automation Extensions (GAX) [This is where my problems started]

If can't uninstall GAX, due to a "2769" error or like in my case a blank/empty dialog with no text just an ok button;

  • Double check to make sure you have all the Guidance packages uninstalled.
  • Try launching an elevated CMD prompt, and then using the original MSI run, "msiexec /x GuidanceAutomationExtensions.msi"
  • If that still doesn't work, in the same elevated CMD prompt, repair the GAX install. "msiexec /fa GuidanceAutomationExtensions.msi"
  • NOW try to uninstall it via the elevated CMD prompt, "msiexec /x GuidanceAutomationExtensions.msi"

For me the repair step was the magic step. Once that was done I had no problems uninstalling GAX.

 

Venting Note: I know that GAX/GAT are in a CTP status, and I know MS is working on this, but having to go through this much work to play with Guidance Packages is a major roadblock for me. Before I can push/roll Guidance packages at work, I'm going to need to see some easier way of rolling out new versions of GAX and Guidance packages... I can't imagine what a pain it would have been to upgrade GAX if I had had a number of Guidance packages installed (like Web Service, SCSF, etc, etc).

I really like the idea and concept, but I think I'm going to go slow on Guidance stuff for a while and let it bake a bit (i.e. wait for RTM, etc).

But that doesn't mean I'm not going to play with it at home though... ;)

 

Additional Information and Links

[Uninstall Log File Snip - For Search Engine Indexing]

...

MSI (s) (5C!B0) [08:02:44:662]:
Error 1001.
DEBUG: Error 2769: Custom Action _36E5DCE7_976B_42A9_8FBB_BE543209DC4A.uninstall did not close 1 MSIHANDLEs.
The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2769. The arguments are: _36E5DCE7_976B_42A9_8FBB_BE543209DC4A.uninstall, 1,
Action ended 8:02:44: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.
Action ended 8:02:46: INSTALL. Return value 3.
Property(S): UpgradeCode = {28FA2806-320E-4482-995E-71AD04E0A2A1}
Property(S): _36E5DCE7_976B_42A9_8FBB_BE543209DC4A.uninstall = /installtype=notransaction /action=uninstall /LogFile= /Host="VisualStudio" /Installer="Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.RecipeFrameworkInstaller, Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio" "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\PublicAssemblies\Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.dll" "C:\Users\Greg\AppData\Local\Temp\CFGADE4.tmp"
...

[/Snip]

Tom Hollander's blog - Guidance Automation Extensions and Guidance Automation Toolkit: February 2007 Community Technology Preview

"...

Installing and Uninstalling the Guidance Automation Extensions

You cannot install the Guidance Automation Extensions if you already have an earlier version installed. Before uninstalling the Guidance Automation Extensions, you must first uninstall all guidance packages, including the Guidance Automation Toolkit. If the guidance packages were installed from a Microsoft Windows Installer (MSI), you can use the Add or Remove Programs tool to uninstall them. If the guidance packages were registered using the Register Guidance Package recipe in the Guidance Automation Toolkit, you should open each guidance package in Visual Studio and run the Unregister Guidance Package recipe.

If for any reason you are unable to uninstall any guidance package cleanly, you can manually remove it from the list of installed guidance packages. This list is stored in a file that is typically located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Recipe Framework\RecipeFramework.xml. If you open this file in a text editor, you will see a <GuidancePackage> element for each guidance package still registered. If you delete all of the <GuidancePackage> elements manually from the XML file, the Guidance Automation Extensions can be uninstalled. However, it will not remove the registry keys of those packages, so you should take this approach only as a last resort.

After all guidance packages are uninstalled, you can uninstall the Guidance Automation Extensions. You can then install a later release of the Guidance Automation Extensions and reinstall any desired guidance packages, including the Guidance Automation Toolkit.

..."

Microsoft Forums - Feb 07 CTP GAT Install Fails: Can't find Microsoft.Practices.RecipeFramework.VisualStudio.RecipeFrameworkInstaller

"...Try to repair the installation before try to uninstall...."

Update #1 5/23/2007 @ 8:20AM (PDT):

Some additional help on uninstall GAX/GAT, Re: Guidance Automation Extensions and Toolkit: June 2006 Release 

(via Chad Brooks Web Log - Problems removing GAT/GAX)

7 comments:

Scott said...

You rock, thank you soooo much, I was having this exact same problem myself, and same as you, the repair seemed to do the trick.

Cheers

Anonymous said...

Hey, you saved my day! I kept getting a complaint about a cetatin guidance package not having been uninstalled (false). /fa did the trick!
Thanks and greetings from Italy

Unknown said...

Thanks man! You saved my day too! Regards from Norway

Anonymous said...

you rock!!! Thanx a ton

Shep said...

Here it is, two years later - and you've helped me uninstall this thing as well.

Now to get rid of Data Access Guidance Package Setup...

ddgen said...

I dont know if this is related, but my GAT got corrupted, so I went into the RecipeFramework.xml and removed it after I uninstalled GAT and GAE 2008, but when I re-installed it, Guidance Automation Manager is not showing up in VS2008 under tools anymore.. anyone know how to re-enable/re-register so it shows up there again?

bachpan said...

Hi,

Great post! I struggle to much to uninstall it. Your post helped.

Thanks,
Chetan