Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Novell Forge - monoppix Summary (0.2.2.3 Released)

Novell Forge - monoppix Summary

"monoppix is a livecd linux distribution that includes the free MONO .NET framework implementation.
monoppix includes the basic mono runtime environment class library and compiler. It also includes development tools like MonoDevelop (IDE) ,MonoDoc (Class libraries help) , XSP (web server), and some quick start tutorials."

Cool. I dig "live" CD's. They usually work great with Virtual PC. :)

Downloaded.

More info on JonGalloway.ToString() - Monoppix Preview (0.2.2.3) Release

Download ISO from here

I'm running this now on VPC. Pretty cool so far...

Monodevelop on VPC needs help. Fonts are jacked/unreadable. I need to play around and see if there's some setting I can change.

This distro is still very preview/beta... but still the idea is cool.

Update #1 9/2/2004 12:32 PM PDT:

So close... It's the color depth that's making monodevelopment ugly...
As I watch the VPC boot, it first flashes a XWindows screen that looks good. Looks 16 or 32 bit color. Then when XWindows finally loads it's back at 256 color.
GRR.
It's auto detecting the video card and doing it wrong (known issue with Linux and VPC...)

I think there's a way to install this distro to the VPC virtual hard drive, at which point I might be able to force a XWindow config. But that goes against the coolness a little.
But then again, if I want to actually development something I'll need someplace to save it.

sigh.

No comments: