Thursday, November 18, 2004

Ghost Devices

Ghost Devices

"... Did you know that your machine probably has every device driver for every device you've ever installed or plugged in still loaded?

The most obvious proof shows up when you swap out one network card for another, but try to keep the same static IP address. Windows will alert you that the IP address is already in use by another network adapter (even though you may never use that adapter again). I finally got tired of seeing this message, so I decided to go on a web hunt for a way to remove the old network adapter once and for all.

Here is what I've found:

1. Right click on My Computer, and select properties.
2. Click the Advanced tab, and select Environment Variables.
3. Click New in System Variables.
4. Type devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices in the Variable Name field, and the number 1 in the Variable Value field.
5. Click OK.
6. Click the Hardware tab, and select Device Manager.
7. Click the View menu, and select Show Hidden Devices.

You will now see a ghost icon for any devices that are installed but not connected. ..."


Very cool tip from Joshua

I copied it here cause I KNOW I'll need this, but won't remember where I put it and wanted to make sure when I googled my blog I'd be able to find it (since my blog is my remote memory store I google it allot :)

No comments: